I supposed to put up a collage of drawings from the 30 in 30 days sgraffito challenge (about fifty images). The problem with having a second hand computer and some shared systems is that all the software I loaded to try these – flipagram, flikr, picassa etc, seemed to immediately make vast numbers of photos pour into my computer. As this computer is eight years old already (an antique in computing terms) it crashes all the time just trying to cope with software upgrades on the minimum set of functions I need, so this sort of behaviour panics me.
So, for the moment, no collage, though I have rephotographed the drawings so that I have a complete set of fired images. I’ll close this sequence for the moment with drawing of me and Einstein..and to say I have had a fantastic time working with an amazing bunch of people from around the world on this project. Lots to learn still, but I feel I know much more about what is possible and have some techniques which will allow me to continue the journey.
Around the world went the cries of anguish when participants in th 30 in 30 days Sgraffito Challenge read the task for these last two days, followed by waves of despair and destruction. We were to work with this photo of AE and, starting with the image upside down, sketch in the light and dark areas and gradually work on the piece whichever way we wanted and with any tools.
sifiting powder upside-down
beginning to add details
some weird Colonel turned up!
back in the jar
I decided I needed to understand the eyes, so did a quick sketch of these.
I sifted powder on. Got completely muddled about which the chin line was. Fiddled. Tipped the powder back into the jar and started again.
trying to tidy his chin- realising everything is the wrong place
Tipped the powder back in the jar and started again.
Version 3 – where should the chin be !!!
keeping this one.
Kept this final piece. I realised that, like most of the others posting progress pieces, I was relentlessly centering AE’s eyes in the image instead of giving him a partial profile. Even with starting upside down, which should help us to see what is actually there and not what we think is there, I was sticking his features where I thought they should be not where they were.
So, a difficult challenge and a not entirely successful outcome. However, when we compare the work we did on this piece with the way we handled the powder back on January 1st we can see how much our technique has improved.
I wanted to increase the tonal range (made the darker areas darker and the light areas lighter) but I felt as if I’d lose any sense of AE being amused in my image if I fiddled any more. I’ll fire this one when the kiln is free and see what it looks like.
If you want to see other participants work you check out the links at the base of this blog.